Warsaw, 11 May 1948. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Adam Pokorski
Date of birth 24 December 1899 in Murafa, Jampol county
Parents’ names Jan and Agnieszka, née Sirocińska
Religion Roman Catholic
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Education elementary school and II technical courses
Occupation driver
Place of residence Narbutta Street 27a, Warsaw

When the Uprising broke out, I was in Warsaw, in my flat at Kazimierzowska Street 71. On 2 August 1944, an SS detachment from the garrison stationed in the barracks at Rakowiecka Street burst into our house. They threw grenades into the basement and ordered that everyone leave the building.

I and the other residents of the house were led to the courtyard of the barracks (Stauferkaserne). The SS-men checked our documents – men with passes (me among them) were told to move to the left, while those who had less convincing documents or possessed none at all were grouped to the right, where they stood with their arms raised. The women were released. The men were placed in a building to the left of the entrance, while I myself was detained on the ground floor, opposite the hall in which the men without passes had been gathered. I heard that on that very day the Germans selected 25 men from the hall housing those who did not possess documents – to be executed, as they said – and led them out; none of those who were marched off were seen again.

Among those detained was an acquaintance of mine, Słowicki, whose son, Marian Słowicki, currently lives in Warsaw, although I do not know his exact address. I do not know the place of the execution.

I stayed at the barracks for three weeks; afterwards I was released due to my age. At the time, men up to 40 years of age were freed.

Around 9 August (I do not remember the exact date), while I was away performing work, the Gestapo drove up to the barracks and took away a few dozen men, none of whom were seen again.

At the time they took Sztabowski, Feliks Janosik, his brother Stanisław Rajewski, and others. I know that not one of them has turned up to date.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.