Warsaw, 6 March 1948. The member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, Judge Halina Wereńko, interviewed the person specified below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Edmund Franciszek Całus
Names of parents Augustyn and Konstancja née Kwapisz
Date of birth 14 November 1900, Aniołów, Częstochowa district
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Education higher
Place of residence Warsaw, Żurawia Street 24
State and national affiliation Polish
Occupation attorney

The outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising caught me with my family in a flat on Św. Barbary Street 10 in Warsaw. In the first days our house was in no man’s land. The establishment of the Tobacco Monopoly, located at the back of our house, was occupied by German units, and the odd side of Św. Barbary Street was in the insurgents’ hands.

On 5 August 1944 around 9.30 a.m., a German unit consisting of soldiers from Kaminski’s brigade and German non-commissioned officers stormed into the area of our house. The Germans threw a grenade into the gate of our house, killing the janitor, Aniela Słupek. Next, they gave an order for all men to go outside into the yard, and they were claiming that shots had been fired at them from our house. As a result of the intervention of Jakubowski, who knew German (I don’t know his current address), the soldiers allowed the people to save their possessions, giving us 15 minutes. At the moment that I was leaving my home, one of the soldiers was setting fire to my flat. Not saving anything, I left with my family and a few people from our house in the direction of the funeral chapel on Wspólna Street. Mostly women and children were in our group. I learned the fates of the other residents of our house from Tadeusz Sokołowski (currently residing in Cracow on Reformacka Street 7, at Miączyńskis), who told me that 17 men had been chosen and executed from that group. Sokołowski was in that group but managed to save himself.

On Sunday, 6 August, we were led by a few Wehrmacht soldiers to the area of the Catholic Action House “Roma”. New groups of civilians from the neighboring houses were constantly coming to “Roma”. From their stories, I know that the Germans led a part of the men to the area of the post office on Poznańska Street. On the order of the Germans from the post office, a list of all men there at that time was made, but the Germans could not lead us out, because Nowogrodzka Street and Poznańska Street were under insurgent fire.

On 10 August, I was shown a leaflet signed by governor Fischer, encouraging the civilian population to leave Warsaw. On 12 August, the first transport of around 60 people from the area of “Roma” left. On 13 August, a second transport of around 100 people left. I went in that transport with my family. While we were in an obstetric clinic, the “Ukrainians” got us and took the rest of our possessions and valuables. Our transport was led to Grójecka Street and then to Narutowicza Square in the direction of the Warsaw West station, from which we were taken to the transit camp in Pruszków.

At this the report was concluded and read out.