Warsaw, 10 January 1946. Acting Investigating Judge Halina Wereńko, delegated to the Warszawa-Miasto Branch of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore her in, following which the witness testified as follows:

Forename and surname Eugenia Kowalewska
Age born in 1908
Names of parents Adolf and Maria, née Nagiel
Place of residence Podskarbińska Street 7, flat 21
Occupation worker at the “Agril” Municipal Utility Company
Religious affiliation Augsburg Evangelical
Criminal record none

On 1 August 1944 at 5.00 p.m., due to the shooting taking place around our house, I was in the basement. It was then that the Uprising broke out (I did not know this at the time). I lived near the railway tracks, in a very busy spot. At this time my husband, Jan, went into the backyard to shepherd a goose into the shed, and after a while the housekeeper’s daughter started shouting, “Kowalewski is wounded!” Upon hearing this, I ran out into the backyard together with Stanisław Noskowski and Stefan Fralak. As he was passing through the door, Stanisław Noskowski was hit by a bullet and collapsed. I figured out that the Germans were on the railway track and were shooting at anyone they could see, so Fralak and I withdrew to the house, unable to come to my husband’s assistance even though he was crying for help. Noskowski died immediately, while my husband died some time later, of blood loss I think.

I was told by an acquaintance of mine, Lisowska, whose forename I do not remember (resident at Sortowa Street in the Wiśniewskis’ house), that her husband (I do not know his forename) was shot on the same day 1 August , for absolutely no reason as well. A German bullet hit him when he left the shelter for a while.

When my husband and Noskowski were shot, there were insurgents in the vicinity of our house.

Stefan Fralak is no longer alive, he died after being hit by shrapnel in September 1944.

The report was read out.