Warsaw, 4 April 1950. Janusz Gumkowski, acting as a member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person named below, who testified as follows:

Forename and surname Bronisław Lauferski
Date and place of birth 14 April 1901, Ruszniew, Janów Podlaski county
Names of parents August and Walentyna, née Tomaszewska
Father’s occupation laborer
State affiliation Polish
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Education 4 grades at elementary school
Occupation laborer
Place of residence Warsaw, Grodzieńska Street 1, flat 8
Criminal record none

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was on the premises of Adamczewski Factory at Grodzieńska Street 21/29, where I had been sent by the management to help the watchmen. On the night of 4/5 August 1944 people from the neighboring streets entered the premises to get some necessary articles, such as soap, etc. The people stayed on the factory premises nearly non-stop until 9 August. During this time, German SS-men (with death’s head insignia) drove up twice to disperse them. They would load the articles taken by the people on their cars, and fire warning shots. However, this was to no avail. On 9 August at around 9.00 a.m. people once again entered the factory premises. Seeing this, German SS-men – I do not know where they came from – surrounded the entire factory: they let the women and children (who were on the premises) leave, stopping only the men. From amongst them they took those who could not show any “paper” confirming that they were employees of the factory. They took them, more than 30 in all, to the square at the siding, near the drums with fat, and executed them. The drums (and the factory) were set on fire from the side of Nowa Street, so we did not witness the exact moment of the fire- raising. The fire spread rapidly, and the neighboring houses also caught fire. Employees of the factory started to extinguish it. Since the house no. 1 at Grodzieńska Street, in which I lived, also started to burn, I ran out to save my belongings. Soon the fire brigade from the Monopoly building on Ząbkowska Street arrived. The fire was put out. Only the factory offices and a few buildings were saved – everything else was destroyed by the blaze.

On the second or third day after the fire I went to the execution site, to the square near the siding. The bodies of the 30 murdered men had burnt. Only a small number of charred bones were left.

I did not hear about any other crimes committed by the Germans in our area during the Uprising.

On 27 August the Germans dropped leaflets ordering all men and women up to 50 years of age to proceed to an assembly point at Markowska Street. They stressed that if they found anyone in our area after the deadline had passed, such people would be executed. I did not go. I was taken by the Germans on 1 September 1944, and after working for a few days near the front line in Targówek and Zakroczym, I was deported to Germany.

At this point the report was concluded and read out.