Warsaw, 26 August 1948. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person specified below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Wacław Roszkowski
Names of parents Wacław and Leokadia n ée Prochadzka
Date of birth 22 March 1914, Warsaw
Education elementary and vocational school
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Place of residence Warsaw, Wilcza Street 22, flat 23
Occupation barber

The outbreak of the Uprising caught me in a flat at Grottgera Street 6. On 3 August 1944 (I am not sure about the date) around 10.00 a.m., I heard shots. I went up to the attic and I saw through a window, corpses lying on Zajączkowska Street, by the steps leading to Dworkowa Street.

Around 15 August, the gendarmes from the unit stationed in Dworkowa Street took me away and hired me as a barber in the house at Dworkowa Street 3. I remained there until the end of September.

The houses at Dworkowa Street 1, 3 and 5 were occupied by units of the district gendarmerie. When I arrived there, the commander of the unit was Hauptmann Lipscher. As regards this unit, I have remembered Malicki, a Volksdeutsch. He was short, slim, had dark eyes, wore a pince-nez and came from Powiśle, or so I heard. At the beginning of the Uprising (I do not remember the exact date), the gendarmerie moved from Willowa Street to Pogodna Street.

On 23 August 1944, the Germans took the civilians from Grottgera Street. Then, as I heard, two men from the evacuation team, who brought in a wounded Yesaul [Cossack officer], were killed.

On 27 September 1944 around 7.00 a.m., a unit of young German soldiers, between 16 and 17 years of age, arrived from the direction of Rakowiecka Street. They wore wooden boots and army camouflage jackets and were armed with grenades. They dispersed across the area. We suspected that they had secured the sewer hatches. Meanwhile, a couple of tanks with SS and police units headed down Puławska Street. Around 11.00 a.m., I saw how from the direction of Mokotów, SS-men brought a young soldier with the Home Army armband to the embankment next to the bunker. I saw how they beat him, shoved him, took him away and then brought him again, told him to dig a pit and then shot him dead. In the meantime, the SS-men brought another man in high boots, who look like an insurgent, and executed him by the bunker on the embankment. Around 2.00 p.m., young German soldiers from the unit which I saw for the first time in the morning, opened the sewer hatch located opposite the hoarding between numbers 3 and 5. At that time, I was on the first floor of the house at Dworkowa Street 5. It was lunchtime. I saw through a window that the street was manned by the gendarmerie and that SS-men were posted near the hatches. Civilians started to come out through a hatch, among them the sick, women, children, men and the insurgents with and without armbands. The SS-men standing next to the hatch divided the people into two groups, sending the women, children and elderly men to the house at number 5, while the young had their weapons taken away and were told to kneel on the other side of the street, by the fence which ran to the steps in Dworkowa Street. At one point, when there were already some 90 men kneeling in three rows, their faces to the fence, I noticed that a man getting out through the hatch started to scuffle with the SS-men. The SS-men started to beat him and took him to a house in Dworkowa Street, to the fence between numbers 3 and 5. Someone from the group kneeling by the fence shouted: "Run, boys!" Some of them broke into a run down the steps, with one reaching the lake and starting to swim. One of the insurgents started to shoot at the Germans from the direction of the fence. The SS-men opened fire from machine guns and wiped out all the insurgents by the fence and those running down the stairs, as well as the swimmer. Among the murdered, I saw a few women. When the shooting stopped, I heard single shots. I saw how the SS-men finished off the wounded. After the shooting, the SS-men threw grenades down the hatches. Before sunset, around 5.00 p.m., I saw how the gendarmes brought in three men first, and then another five, and executed them by the fence.

A few days before the surrender of Mokotów, i.e. before 26 September 1944, Lipscher’s gendarmerie unit left Warsaw.

The corpses of those executed were buried by male civilians in the grounds of the bazaar. Women were taken down Puławska Street.

On 28 September, the gendarmerie unit left Dworkowa Street and took us to Czackiego Street. I had stayed there until the surrender.

At this point the report was concluded and read out.