Warsaw, 15 December 1947. A member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, Judge Halina Wereńko, heard as a witness the person specified below; the witness did not swear an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stanisław Dalgiewicz
Parents’ names Józef and Felicja née Choderska
Date of birth 9 September 1918 in Płońsk
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Place of residence Warsaw, Pokorna Street 12, flat 18
Nationality Polish
Education elementary school
Occupation worker

During the Warsaw Uprising, I lived at Dzika Street 15 in Warsaw. On 13 August 1944, after the retreat of the insurgents, I went to Muranowska Street 6 along with the inhabitants of the houses at Dzika Street no. 13–19. On the night of 20/21 August the insurgents left the neighborhood of Muranowska Street and went to Starówka [Old Town].

About 6.00 a.m., Wehrmacht troops came to Muranów and took us to a depot between Inflancka Street and Sierakowska Street, where they gathered the civilians from the Muranów district. The Wehrmacht soldiers separated men from women, and further separated a group of about a hundred young men, including me. Our group was led to the St John of God Hospital and ordered to shout that women and children were to leave the Old Town. When we were standing there by the hospital, German planes came and opened fire with mounted weapons, killing many people. The insurgents from the St John of God Hospital answered to us that only the staff at Długa Street could make a decision in such a case. Three men from our group were sent then to the territory controlled by the insurgents, but they never came back.

After a few hours our group was again taken to Muranowska Street. Soldiers in German uniforms, with black epaulets and fur hats, approached us there at Muranowska Street. Some of them had black fur hats without peaks and spoke Russian. That group robbed us of our valuables. Then the Wehrmacht soldiers, who were passive while we were being robbed, led us to the depot where the rest of the inhabitants of Muranów had been all this time.

About 12.00 a.m., first women with children and then men were taken to warehouses at Stawki Street 4/6/8. The escort handed us over to an SA unit. I saw that the soldiers in German uniforms who spoke Russian were also there, again robbing the gathered people. One of the “Ukrainians” took away my boots, giving me in exchange his own, which were too small for me, so in effect I had to walk barefoot. A group of women and children were sent to a church in Wola, so only sick women remained in the depot, and the German soldiers assured us that a car would come to take them. The old men from the shelter at Przebieg Street, who wanted to join the group of departing women, were halted by an SA man with the rank of sergeant. As far as I know, those old men were taken to the same room in which we had been placed.

Men, about 500 altogether, were gathered in one of the warehouses. Later we were being led one by one to a smaller room, where the SA men were interrogating us about the insurgent activities, about taking part in them and about our personal details. Around a hundred people, including me, were interrogated thus. Those who had been interrogated were placed by the wall of the warehouse, where the old men from the shelter at Przebieg Street, wearing striped clothes, had already been standing. The interrogation was suspended for reasons unknown, and one of the SA men ordered the men, under pain of execution, to hand over all military things. A dozen people stepped out of line and handed over various things (boots, trousers, socks, hats etc.), and then the group was led away by the SA man, accompanied by a Russian-speaking soldier in a German uniform who had a white and blue shield with an unfamiliar sign in the middle of it on his left arm. That soldier had an automatic rifle. Ten minutes later they both returned. The SA man who had led the previous group away ordered us in Polish to hand over canned food. Some several dozen men stepped out of the line this time and they were taken away in two groups. After his return, the SA man was leading away old men by the dozen, telling them that they would be transported in a car which was waiting at Dzika Street. When he had led all the old men away, and there were approximately 50 of them, the SA-man began to lead away by the dozen those men who had been interrogated. At that time I did not see whether the sick women were also being led away, as they were gathered at the end of the warehouse that had exit onto Dzika Street.

When only some dozen men of my group remained, an SS officer came in a car (he had gold epaulets and a green hat with a black band and a skull and crossbones), who gave an order for us to be led to a church in Wola immediately. As I speak German, I understood what he said. The SS officer left. The SA man asked for 100 volunteers for unloading wagons, promising the canned food in reward, and that they would be escorted to Wola at 5.00 p.m. One hundred men volunteered.

During my stay in the Saint Adalbert church (until 27 August), that group was not brought there. Of those people, I knew Mierzyński from Sierakowska Street 4, a janitor from Dzika 17 named Ruciński, and a few others by sight. As far as I know, their fate remains unknown to this day.

Next, the rest of us were led away, except for four men, inhabitants of Dzika Street – among them there was Kornacki, I don’t remember the names of the rest – who had been beaten during interrogation. A group of the remaining men, including me, was led to the St Adalbert church. The Germans were using me and other younger men to perform various tasks (taking down or building barricades, loading ammunition etc.).

On 26 August, with a group of 20 men, I was taken to load wagons in the warehouses at Stawki Street. Along with three other men (Bożymowski, residing in Ursus, and Józef Zatajko, residing in the Poznań Voivodeship, who was a janitor at a stonemason’s at Dzika Street 17 during the German occupation), I managed to get to a house at Dzika Street 17 under escort. In the yard of that house, on the left side of the entrance, I noticed a large pile (5 meters wide, 5 meters long and 4 meters high) of corpses by the paling. The bodies were slightly charred. I recognized the corpse of Kornacki, the old men (in striped clothes) and old women from the shelter, and also civilian women. The majority, however, were men.

On 27 August 1944, I was deported from the church to Pruszków and then to the concentration camp in Stutthoff.

At this the report was closed and read out.