Warsaw, 26 August 1948. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Warsaw, interviewed the person named below as a witness, without taking an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Jadwiga Stanisława Gorgolewska
Parents' names Józef and Cecylia, née Kajzer
Date of birth 21 December 1924 in Warsaw
Religion Roman Catholic
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Education secondary
Profession office worker at the Coffee Union
Place of residence Warsaw, Aleje Jerozolimskie 59.

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was at home at Marszałkowska Street 15.

On 3 August the Germans set fire to our house. I then fled to Polna Street, and on 4 August was taken by a German soldier to aleja Szucha. I was assigned to the German hospital, which was located at aleja Szucha 23, in a building which also housed the German Gendarmerie. Between 13 and 15 August, I don’t remember the exact date, I was allocated a flat at Litewska Street 7. From there I came to work at the hospital, while around 20 August I was transferred and tasked with cleaning the rooms of German officers on the third floor of the building at aleja Szucha 23. I cleaned the room of Gendarmerie inspector Kober, his deputy Römmel, and adjutant König.

A few days after being transferred to Litewska Street, I saw that at No. 14 there was a camp for Polish prisoners, who totalled approx. 15 and went around in striped uniforms, had their heads shaved, and lived in the basement of the building. I talked with one of them on a few occasions, I don’t know his surname, and he told me that he had been arrested two years ago and that the Germans used their group for the dirtiest jobs. He also said that groups of Poles had been led to aleja Szucha 12/14 and executed by firing squad at the rear of the garage. Before being shot, these people had to undress. Once the execution was over, the Polish prisoners burned the bodies on the same property.

I saw the clothing depot at Litewska Street 5. One of the Germans took me there and tried to find some clothes for me; this was a very difficult task, for it contained mainly men's suits. On 28 August I left with the Gendarmerie for Włochy, from where I escaped.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.