On 30 October 1947 in Radom, the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Radom, in the person of Deputy Prosecutor T. Skulimowski, heard the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Michał Bąk
Age 44 years old
Parents’ names Ignacy and Feliksa, née Narożnik
Place of residence village of Kosów, Kowala commune, Radom district
Occupation farmer
Criminal record none
Relationship to the parties none

From September 1939 until January 1945, the Germans were carrying out executions in the Kosów Forest. I didn’t witness them, as the Germans forbade Poles to approach the execution site. I only heard shots and people screaming, “What did we do?” I heard not only the voices of men, but also of women and children. After the executions I would go to the execution site, where I saw fresh graves: sometimes I could see arms, legs, or even heads of the victims dug up by the local dogs. Executions in the Kosów Forest were held quite frequently, sometimes two or three times a week.

The execution carried out after the arrest of the people in Garbatka is etched particularly strongly in my memory. From the distance of 200 meters, I saw cars pulling up one after the other, and each was packed with civilian men and women. These people were unloaded into the forest and killed with machine guns in several groups. Afterwards I heard single shots – the Germans were finishing off their victims. According to my estimates, some 300 people were executed in the Kosów Forest at that time. I heard people screaming and begging the Germans to spare them. As I learned later, the victims had been arrested in Garbatka, as far as I know in 1943.

People who were subsequently executed were usually brought from Radom. They were escorted and shot by the German gendarmerie. Sometimes the victims were not killed with machine guns, but with grenades, as we could hear explosions. The bodies were buried on the spot, but I don’t know whether they remain there to this day, as sometime in the spring of 1944 the German gendarmerie came to forest, surrounded the execution site, shielded it with mats and proceeded to do something there with machines that they had brought with them.

I confirm that this is my testimony. The report was read out.