On 11 January 1946 in Radom, the investigating judge from the 2nd Region of the District Court in Radom, Judge Kazimierz Borys, heard the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stefan Senator
Age 45 years old
Parents’ names Roch and Katarzyna
Place of residence Wólka Klwatecka, Wielogóra commune
Occupation farmer
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none
Relationship to the parties none

I moved to Wólka Klwatecka, near Firlej, in May 1942. From then on I constantly saw trucks going between Radom and Firlej and I heard gunshots from the direction of the Firlej sands. The trucks came almost every day, and sometimes even several times a day. I saw them also at night.

I didn’t witness the executions.

In July 1944, while I was loading hay onto a wagon and thus standing on top of the haystack, I noticed two trucks and a taxi going in the direction of the sands. Some time later I heard shooting. Next the Gestapo men began to herd local residents to the sands. Seeing that people had begun to hide, I jumped from the wagon and hid in the rye. However, one Gestapo man noticed me and fired a round of shots in my direction. Then I sprang to my feet and raised my arms. The Gestapo man, calling me a bandit, searched me and led me to a group of residents of Firlej who were standing in the road. Then we were all marched to the sands, where we were divided into smaller groups; each group was ordered to bury the corpses that were lying there. My group was assigned to a row of bodies of murdered men; I counted 18 of them. They were tied to one another by the arms and each had his hands tied behind his back. The Gestapo man who supervised our group ordered me to cut the ropes with which they were tied to one another and the ropes with which their hands had been tied. Pointing to one of the executed, the Gestapo man said that he was a bandit, because he was caught armed, and referring to the other bodies, he said, “The rest were also good-for-nothings”.

We buried the murdered men in pits, from four to six men to a pit. There were about five groups of corpses like the one to which I was assigned. After we had buried the corpses, we were ordered also to cover traces of blood visible on the sand.

Having expelled the local residents, from the autumn of 1943 to the spring of 1944 the Germans burned the corpses of the murdered victims under the cover of straw mats. During the day we could see smoke hanging over Firlej, and at night – flashes of fire, and moreover we could smell the stench of decomposed human bodies. During the period when the corpses were being burned, we could also hear shooting, from which it can be inferred that the executions were still being carried out at the time.

After the burning was finished, people were executed in the same manner as before, up until the entry of the Red Army. The corpses were not burned the second time.

In the spring of 1944, I heard music issuing from the school building in Firlej; at the time when the corpses were being burned, the Germans who were carrying out the burning were quartered there. I suppose that they organized a party at the school towards the end of the burning.

The report was read out.