On 25 January 1946 in Radom, Investigating Judge Kazimierz Borys of the II District of the Regional Court in Radom with its seat in Radom interviewed the person mentioned hereunder as a witness, without taking an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Jan Kołsut
Age 37 years old
Parents’ names Tomasz and Marianna
Place of residence Zyła, commune of Wielogóra
Occupation farmer
Religion Roman Catholic
Criminal record none
Relationship to the parties none

Throughout the German occupation, I lived near the sands in Firlej and saw how in the years 1940 – 1944 the Nazis brought in people here and executed them. The first execution took place in the early spring of 1940, in March or April, and lasted a few hours. The bodies filled five large pits, each 10 meters long. A few hundred people could have been killed at the time. I went to the execution site after it was all over. I saw bone and body fragments, teeth, and shreds of clothes.

The executions were continuous – once more frequent, once less.

Initially, greater numbers of people were executed, while later the groups grew smaller. Individual executions also took place. The victims were both men and women, and sometimes even children. I saw with my own eyes how the Germans shot a small boy in the sands, when he was picking acacia flowers after they had ordered him to do so.

Normally, the Germans prepared the pits beforehand and killed the people right by them. Once, I saw a woman being led towards a freshly dug hollow, but she refused to go near it. So the Germans shot her where she stood and dragged her to the pit by her legs. I also saw the Germans bring in the bodies of people murdered in other townships and bury them in Firlej. In the autumn of 1943, we were evicted for the whole winter. We returned only in the spring of 1944. The Germans then started burning the bodies. I know this, because you could see smoke and smell the stench of decomposing human flesh. The ashes produced in the course of the incinerations were driven down to the nearby river and dumped there; you could see the tire tracks running from the execution site to the water, while immediately after the incinerations you would find pieces of charred bone and teeth by the river.

The executions were continued after the evicted residents returned. The last execution was held a few days before the Germans fled the area in January 1945.

The report was read out.