7 February 1950, Warsaw. Trainee Judge Irena Skonieczna, acting as a member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person named below as a witness, who testified as follows:

Name and surname Karol Belina Brzozowski
Date and place of birth 23 March 1917, Sokołówka
Parents’ names Karol and Zofia, née Krasińska
Father’s occupation Administrator
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Religious affiliation Catholic
Education Secondary
Occupation Administrator, book-keeper
Place of residence Bracka Street 20, flat 27, Warsaw
Criminal record None

At the moment when the Warsaw Uprising began, I was in the house at Bracka Street 20. Our area had been taken over by the insurgents. On 10 September 1944, an SS Kampfgruppe (I heard an officer giving orders to his soldiers, I speak German) launched an attack on the houses at Chmielna Street from the side of Smolna Street. The insurgents from the house at Bracka Street 18 managed to resist the pressure from the Germans on the borderline between the estate at Bracka Street 20 and the burned-out movie theater. The group operating nearby moved further ahead, occupying the house at Chmielna Street. The house stood level with the palace at Bracka Street 20. Through a breach in the basement, German soldiers burst into the palace area. There were about 50 people in the basements. A first-aid post had been established there. The Germans ordered everyone to leave. They led us out into the grounds of the burned-out movie theater and told us to stand against the garage wall. The fighting continued all around. Then three men, including myself, were pulled out from among those lined up against the wall. The Germans told the three of us to leave everything we had and took us to carry the wounded. The rest was escorted to the “Bułgaria” wine bar located at the passageway linking Chmielna Street with Nowy Świat Street. In the evening, the men employed to carry the wounded and dead Germans were led into a room in the burning house at Nowy Świat Street, where they joined other people taken from around the town and harnessed to perform heavy and dangerous work. At the time when I was carrying the wounded, the Germans shot a man called Mieczysław Dąbrowski in the grounds of the burned-out movie theater. They saw him wearing a German military jacket. My sister, Janina, tried to defend him by showing the Germans the registration book which proved that he was one of the residents of no. 20. A German told my sister that she was a bandit too. Dąbrowski was shot and my sister went into hiding.

Throughout the night, the Germans pulled out young women from “Bułgaria” and raped them. One of the soldiers spent the whole night looking for my sister, who had hidden under packages behind my mother. In the morning, the whole group was led out in the direction of Nowy Świat Street. The soldier then spotted my sister and dragged her into a demolished building. My mother and her old teacher Eleonora Szymańska came to her rescue. The group of residents from our house walked on. I learned all these details from the account of my cousin Irena Sobańska (Sopot, Władysława Street 11) who marched in the group (I and my father joined the group later). She also told me that she had heard my mother let out a scream in the ruined building.

I and the whole group were taken from Warsaw to Pruszków.

On 3 November 1944, my father managed to find the scene of the crime committed on 11 September. In the rubble near the passageway he found the bodies of my mother, sister and the teacher.

Around 25 January 1945, I returned to Warsaw. I was on the site where the bodies of my mother and sister were lying. I saw the bodies of about ten people, mostly women, all of whom had gunshot wounds to the back of their heads. The bodies were also seen by Prof. Paweł Kułakowski (he lives at Mochnackiego Street 21 or in Sopot at Witosa Street 12).

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.

A site plan has been attached to the interview report of Karol Belina Brzozowski, resident at Bracka Street 20.