Warsaw, 24 March 1949. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Warsaw, interviewed the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Kazimiera Frankowska, née Ogonek
Parents’ names Katarzyna, née Nerlt, Jan
Date of birth 1904
Religion Roman Catholic
Education 4 classes of elementary school
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Place of residence Warsaw, Belgijska Street 6, flat 4
Occupation lives with her daughter
Father’s profession farmer, some 8,5 acres

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was in my house at Belgijska Street 11. In the first days of the Uprising – 1, 2, 3 August 1944 – I saw insurgents passing through the premises of our house. On 3 August German tanks arrived in our street, advancing from the direction of Szuster’s Garden; the insurgents later told us that these Germans had come from Dworkowa Street. The soldiers ran into all of the flats in turn. I heard that at no. 9 they murdered three people in the annex. They burst into our house, too. At the time I was in the basement. A woman ran in, shouting that there were Germans in our house. They set fire to our house. I left the basement with some of the residents. A soldier – speaking in Polish – informed those who were exiting the building that the women could go out into the street, for they had nothing to fear. However, the women who walked out of the gate were shot at by German soldiers from the direction of Puławska Street. So the women tried to escape through the courtyard, towards Boryszewska Street. Those escaping were shot at from a direction that I was unable to determine, and I myself saw the bodies of some 18 women in the courtyard and gate. Only two men left the basement, and the German soldiers shot them out of hand, on the stairs. I was afraid to walk out and milled around by the gate. German soldiers pushed me around, but finally they left. Only one remained in the courtyard, and I saw that he was busy finishing off the wounded who were lying there. The soldiers withdrew in the direction of Puławska Street. The one who was dispatching the wounded also left; he did not shoot at me. I returned to the basement to see who was still alive, for before they had left the Germans had thrown grenades inside. However, the people gathered in the basement had survived, since the grenades had exploded on the stairs.

On 4 August the insurgents attacked Dworkowa Street, and although the Germans repulsed their attack, over the next few days the fighters managed to wrest control of Belgijska Street, where they remained until 27 September, that is, until the capitulation of Mokotów.

On the day of the capitulation the Germans evicted the entire civilian population, myself included, and moved us to Służew, from where we were taken to the transit camp in Pruszków.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.